Algorithms and Continual Learning

It's been a while since I have been in school.  I graduated with my bachelors degree (which I almost typed bachelorette) about 7 years ago, and it has been 2 since I graduated with my masters.  I have been trying to review some computer science and object oriented programming basics again, and it is difficult trying to go back to the beginning.  Especially with programming, it has been years since I have looked at Java basics, but I code with Java practically every day.  You would think it wouldn't be that hard but trying to remember about data structures, algorithms, and the such still aren't things I necessarily use in my day to day.

To work on this I have started reading through The Algorithm Design Manual by Steven S. Skiena for algorithm basics again.  It isn't an easy book to get through, but it is bringing back memories from classes in undergrad.  At the time I don't think I really knew what to do with algorithms, it was just a class to get through.  Now, I still don't know if it something that will really effect my normal programming, but I think it is a good idea to keep in mind for more architectural/design type tasks.  Who knows, maybe it will be something I find helpful, but for now it is a step in remembering some lost technical skills.  Next I think I should go back to the basics with Java, or maybe step into a new language like C# or really dig into PHP.

Comments

Popular Posts