Germany - Sunday

After getting into Frankfurt, Anja, Oliver, John and I journeyed off to visit Kurt and Inge, Anja's parents.  They live in a small village in the Palentine region of Germany called Enkenbach-Alsenborn.  The town it old in the way no US town can be, it is all cobblestones and red-roofed houses with small winding streets.  It really is one of my favorite places to visit.

Inge had lunch ready and waiting for us when we got in.  We had a sorrel and shrimp soup, caprese salad, a roast with dumplings and gravy, and ice cream with fresh raspberry sauce for dessert.  Unfortuntly since my jet lag was starting to kick in, I couldn't properly demolish the food like I normally would.  All of the veggies and herbs came from Inge's garden, which is quite extensive.

After lunch there was a town parade and fair in Alenborn, Enkenback and Alenborn are actually two towns that are associated together.  I was really getting tired now, but John and I had brought some five hour energy drinks with us, and decided it was time to use them.  The parade was cool, we watched it from one of Inge's friend's house, and was full of local clubs, and bands who had made floats.  The coolest think is that many were just poring beer, and you could just walk up to the float to get a drink.

Then we had to stop by the fair, which really was just two beer tents and a carnival ride.  That's German priorities for you.  After a beer or two at the tent Anja and I were able to drag Oliver and John away and head for Heidelberg, were John and I were to stay in Anja's apartment.  Somehow John and I were able to stay up till 9pm that night (remember only 2 hours sleep in about 30 some hours), so this was a huge feet for use, and our effort to try to get on a normal German time schedule.

I will update later with how Monday and Tuesday went.

Teeny

Comments

  1. Sounds like fun! Man, the first day with jet lag is always the worst. Nice to know that Germany really does have beer everywhere. Mental note--be prepared to drink if I go to Germany. ^_^ (also, that dinner sounds delicious!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh that sounds awesome. I love cobblestones! And beer. And castles. I should just go back to Europe. ^_^ Floats that pour beer: awesomest thing in the world: Y/Y ?

    The dinner sounds delish, which is a little difficult for me right now, because I'm staaaaaarving! ^_^

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts