Sometimes I am jealous of janitors...

I have a love/hate relationship with my job. I love when I can solve a particularly tricky bug in the code (especially one that might have eluded other people). And I love when I can answer a truly in-depth technical question that you can only answer when you truly know your software product. But at that same time, I am frustrated to tears when I can't solve a problem and I have absolutely no hope of help, and I do not have enough technical knowledge to solve it alone. Or when I am in the middle of debugging a particularly buggy project.

It dawned on me the other night, when I was still at work at 7pm, with the janitors making their rounds around the floor to pick up trash, and vacuum, that I was jealous of them. Our jobs really aren't that different at times, we both have to clean up other peoples crap. Coding sometimes is like trying to clean up a room in the dark, you don't know when the job is done, and you will probably end up missing stuff because you couldn't see it.

Comments

Popular Posts